Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Yarn Harlot!



Tuesday, we went to see the Yarn Harlot, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. Not wanting to go by myself, I brought along my friend Darlene (who is a non-knitter but loves the feel of yarn and all things knitterly. I am confident she will turn to the dark side soon.) who was enthusiastic and told everyone within earshot she was going to see the "Yarn Lady" but had no clue what it was all about.

We arrived at the school auditorium about 6:15 and there was already over 100 people there. So I introduced Dar to some of my knitting friends, took a seat, and started knitting on the Noro Cavendish blanket I'm currently working on in Silk Garden.

Lynn Anne from Twisted Yarns came out and gave away a whole slew of yarn stuff of which I won absolutely none and I had two chances (mine and Dar's since she doesn't knit yet). Anyway, then Steph comes out and talks and makes us all pretty much pee our pants for the next hour and a half. Then it's time to go to the book store for the signing portion of the evening. Twisted Yarns really handled this very well. They gave everyone tickets with time blocks to come and get there book signed. My time slot was 9:45-10:15 so Dar and I went to the Woodlands and ate at Cheesecake Factory. Yummy. Then we decided that Steph needed a piece of Snicker's Bar Cheesecake so we brought that with us back to get our books signed.

We only stood in line for about 10 minutes and then it was our turn. We offered the cheesecake and it was received pretty well. She said I seemed like a nice person. I think she may have been afraid I would take the cheesecake back. Then we got our books signed (I got Casts Off signed and Dar bought At Knits End) then we had our picture taken with the infamous green sock. We talked for a few minutes about New Orleans (I'm originally from there and she was there the day before) and she told Dar she wanted a pic emailed to her of Dar holding something she knitted since Dar promised she would start knitting and then we left.

All in all it was a great evening. We both had a good time and I now have a friend who can appreciate why I'm so crazy about this whole knitting thing.

And now for some pics:
The Yarn Harlot and me




















The Yarn Harlot and Darlene


I did manage to get several pics from far away when she was speeking but none of them came out well enough to see very well.
She made Darlene hold the finished sock so she would catch some of the knitting mojo.
I'm glad we went and I have way too many projects to name and this blog is way too long today. More next time.

2 comments:

Loralie said...

Wow! That must have been fun! So what exactly did she talk about

Brittany said...

It was kind of like a stand up comedy routine. She talked about alot of stuff in her blog and her latest book. She told a lot of stories that were really funny. If she comes anywhere near you, I highly recommend going to see her.