Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A new cardigan for Lili

Back when I started knitting about 2 1/2 years ago, my best friend was pregnant. I got all excited about all the knitterly baby things I was going to make her and went out and bought a whole messload of super soft baby acrylic. In white.

Now I know what you're thinking. Yes, I have 2 kids and I know white is not the best color for a spitting up, messy, poop machine so I ended up buying baby blue (she was having a boy). Also in my defense, I had only been knitting for about 4 months and had no clue there were other places to get yarn besides Hobby Lobby, Wal-Mart or Michael's so I had no idea and I have never bought acrylic since.

Anyway, so I have this whole mess of snow white acrylic taking up valuble space in my stash that could be otherwise dedicated to wool I'm thinking I might have to aquire to knit up this cute little fair isle hoodie for this winter. I'm supervising Lili as she is rumaging through my stash looking for "something to knit" even though she has 3 other things on needles (How can that start so early?) when she spots all this white stuff and says, "you know mom, I could use a new sweater for school. My other one (store bought piece of c$#p) is falling apart." So bingo, new project which doesn't count because it's a necessity item and I don't have to buy anything but a pattern for it and maybe not even that b/c I could probably just wing a simple sweater.

Of course being my child, she doesn't want a normal straight stitch cardigan with a little ribbing trim. No, my child wants a freakin' mini Aran cardigan with 25 different cables and twists. I can't wing that. Anyway I found at Hobby Lobby (I bought no yarn, I was just checking to see if they had any needles or notions on sale. No such luck, I used to get dpn's for like $2 now they are almost $4!!) a really cute adult cardigan that is seed stitched with a simple cable on either side of the button bands and a Celtic braid next to that. Not to complex, just enough to keep it interesting.

Here is my delima: it is in a woman sz and the sz small is a 38 inch chest.
Here is my solution: I am a pretty tight knitter and usually have to go up a needle sz or two to get gauge. If I knitted it on the sz needles it calls for or even go down a sz, it should make it smaller, right? That is my theory and what I'm going with. I'm casting on for the back and knitting up a bit and see how it goes.

Keep you fingers crossed, please comment and I'll try to keep you posted if I haven't pulled my hair out by then.

3 comments:

Loralie said...

Sounds great! I am sure she'll love it, as that sounds so stylish! Hopefully the needle size change should work. If not, with a little math it wouldn't be too hard to change the pattern a little bit and take out some stitches to make it smaller. I guess you could do that by looking at the difference in all the other sizes and decrease the number of stitches like they did until it should be right. That might not work, and I sound really confusing. Anyways, good luck! And I bet your plan will work great!

Brittany said...

I thought about decreasing the stitches too. The problem is that I need to decrease the overall chest measurement by about 6 inches and with the cables, I'm not sure if I could make it work and still look right. I cast on the back using a sz smaller needle than the pattern suggested and knit about 1 1/2 inches of ribbing and it seems like it might work. I'm just worried about the stiches being too stiff, but with acrylic it's hard to tell because it's kind of stiff already.

Loralie said...

Ok, that's good that it's working! Well, being stiff might make it hard to knit but it might make it last longer, and I am sure that would be great! Also, a lot of things look better knit up a little stiffer.