Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I'm a Spinner!!!

For about 2 months, I have been looking for a used spinning wheel with the idea of taking up spinning. Yeah, I know, like I really have time for yet another hobby. Any way after about a month of searching, I finally bought a used Ashford Traveler on ebay. It's a single treadle, Scotch tension wheel. It spins beautifully. The lady I purchased it from was nice enough to send me a huge bag full of camel roving to practice with. Yes, I said camel. I spun it, plied it and skeined it with the niddy noddy she sent me as well. Not really liking the texture of the yarn though. It feels like a really cheap acrylic yarn. Oh well. It's just to practice with anyway.

I am almost finished my mom's Mother's Day present. I know it's past already but her and my father are forever out of town so I should be finished it when they get home sometime. I finished my best friends socks. Mountain Colors in Steelhead in a diamond lace pattern. They came out pretty.

I did start another pair of socks but I'm not really working too much on them b/c I'm trying to finish mom's gift. They're Mama Lama in Orchid. They look sort of Easter-y. I'm just doing a basic sock pattern b/c after my friend's socks and my mom's present, I'm kind of sick of lace.

I'm wondering if I'll start having nightmares soon about YO's and K2tog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh fun! We don't have a spinning wheel currently, but we do have a nice little spindle. It's pretty fun but I still haven't gotten the knack for spinning perfect yarn yet!